This project has been in my head for quite a few years now. I saw this outstanding lamp at my aunts house, I can’t even remember when it was, it’s THAT long ago! She got inspired by this beautiful creation but thought it was a bit expensive (and creatable). I might have a picture of her lamp somewhere… Yes! And now my lamp feels scrawny, have to feed it with a few more strings of flowers, or well, my lampshade is a bit smaller so it might look weird. I will look into it when I actually have space for it. Until then, here’s a short DIY for you (and the pics from my aunt’s version, I love the light it gives)!
What you need:
- a lampshade, with or without fabric
- vlieseline, same amount as the fabric you choose. Not sure how much I used to be honest but the size of your flowers matters so just go for something and purchase more if needed
- cotton fabric of any desired color, white might look best if you only can find white vlieseline
- a few meters of fishing line or any other discrete and strong thread available
- floor protectors, I went to IKEA and got a few packages of FIXA. Floor protectors anyone?
- a pair of sharp scissors. You will cut a lot unless you have some other nifty way to cut out the flowers (I was clever enough to use my Sizzix Big Shot, I honestly think this project still would be unfinished without it)
- some sort of flower template unless you want to draw every single one by hand, might be fun too!
- iron and an ironing board
Not sure if my methods are the best for this, but since I was going to cut the flowers with my Big Shot I sort of had to cut pieces of the fabric, the die I got included four different styles of flowers which I didn’t want so this step might be unnecessary for some.
I might have chosen smaller flowers to match my tiny lamp shade better. Oh well, there’s always a next time!